Revenue (¥ bn, bars) · net margin (%, line)
Source: securities reports
Daifuku began in May 1937 as Sakaguchi Machine Works, an independent machine shop in Nishiyodogawa, Osaka, capitalized at ¥300,000 and employing about 150 people. Its main line was forging and pressing machinery for the steel industry — air hammers, rolling mills, plate levellers, hydraulic presses — plus cranes and dredgers. The Sino-Japanese war that broke out weeks later pushed Japanese steel into a historic expansion, and orders from the Osaka steelworks carried the shop through two capital increases and, in 1939, into a new plant at Mitejima, the site of its head office to this day, with a workforce near 400.
Growth came with a trading house behind it. From about 1939 the bridge builder Nippon Bridge and its parent Iwai & Co. took a hand in management; in May 1941 the general trading company Kanematsu invested and joined the board, and by the end of that year Iwai had withdrawn and Kanematsu stood alone. Textile traders squeezed by raw-material controls were moving into heavy industry, and Kanematsu had found its machine shop. Designated an Army- and Navy-supervised plant in 1943, the company built reciprocating engines for standard wartime ships alongside its presses and cranes, and in March 1944 it took the name Kanematsu Kiko. In March 1945 it dispersed production to a new plant at Fukuchiyama, north of Kyoto, to escape the air raids.
The name Daifuku was born of the occupation. In August 1947, with Kanematsu’s shareholding exposed to the antitrust law, Kanematsu Kiko became Daifuku Kiko — a coinage joining the dai of Osaka with the fuku of Fukuchiyama, proposed by the executive vice-president and liked for its auspicious ring in the China trade. The business behind the new name was in far worse shape. Even the Korean War boom missed it: the company carried an accumulated deficit of $166,667 (¥60m)–$194,444 (¥70m) and came within a hair of defaulting, survived a boardroom argument over whether to continue at all, cut about 40% of its staff and sold the plants where it had started. Fukuchiyama was spun off in 1953 and sold in 1957, concentrating everything at Mitejima.
What saved it was borrowed technology. Cut off from further money by Kanematsu and left with nothing but its own machining skill, Daifuku Kiko pushed into materials handling. Kanematsu’s Masuda Kenjiro talked Switzerland’s Bühler into a tie-up, and in 1952 president Senoo travelled to Switzerland to sign it, bringing back the chain-in-trough Bulk Veyor for grain, coal and cement; the first unit went to a Yokkaichi warehouse, then to Ajinomoto, Tokyo Gas and the Yawata steelworks coal yards. The second thread ran to Detroit: in the summer of 1954 Kanematsu’s Taguchi Shigeo became the first Japanese to visit Jervis B. Webb, and in 1956, through a contact at Toyota Auto Body made on a plate-leveller sale, Toyota Motor adopted the Webb conveyor. The licence was formally approved in December 1957, and the forged chain at the conveyor’s heart — which no established Japanese maker would touch — was localized on the strength of the founding forging trade.